Friday, February 18, 2011

Kitty-Cat

I just put my daughter to sleep (she's staying with me this weekend - yay!)

As some of you know, my daughter has forged a strong bond with her new best buddy from the apartment complex: Kitty-Cat. This is a beautiful and affectionate cat that has been abandoned by a former tenant and who has now adopted us as her own. To say my daughter loves her is an understatement. She chases the cat around, pets her and says "Kitty-cat, where are you?" when the cat isn't around. She even orders the cat around - "Come on, kitty-cat!" - and, to my surprise, the cat actually follows her. She even once tried to blow the cat's nose. I'm serious. I have video evidence.

I have to say, though, that the cat draws the line at doing "people things". My daughter was scooting butt-first down some concrete steps, saying "kaaaaa-boom!" at every bounce. Then she said "Papa do it?". So of course I did it. Then after I did it, my daughter said "Now Kitty-cat do it?". And...well...I'm sure you know how that ends. Kitty-cat did not butt-scoot down the steps.

I bring up the cat for 2 reasons:

1) Kitty-cat was sitting on my bed tonight and my daughter walked up to her, pet her fur and said "Hi Kitty-cat. I miss you." Yeah...Adorable...

2) I've recently discovered that Kitty-cat has fleas. Yeah...Bummer...What do I do? What's the safest cure for fleas? What isn't going to harm the cat or my daughter?

I wouldn't dream of separating the two of them, so the only other option is to nix the fleas.

Any suggestions? Anyone? Hello? (tap tap tap) Is this thing on...?

xo
-t.

4 comments:

  1. I looked up safe products for both children and pets and found critter oil to be helpful. From what I read, it was a natural repellent and can be found at pet stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As your sister I must say I have no idea! I always thought you just did a flea bath and a flea collar! My kids are older and were exposed to non-environmentally friendly things....that could explain..nevermind....I do like hearing about the adventures of Phoebe though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, y'all! I will seek out critter oil from the pet store and report back...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I never got critter oil, but I've been reading about the flea dilemma online and the healthy concensus seems to be: bathe the cat regularly with baby soap, vacuum the carpets and use diatomaceous earth on everything else - deadly for fleas and ants. DO NOT USE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH FOR POOLS! Use the other kind. The kind they feed to horses 'n' stuff. :) xo -t.

    ReplyDelete