Wednesday, February 23, 2011

TiVO Is Ruining My Child

The DVR is an awesome invention. I love it. Since my daughter started watching TV she says "again again" when she likes something and I just rewind it and we watch it again...and again...and again. Until she finally stops saying "again", which means we watch everything that she likes about 10 times. Same with things we watch on YouTube.

(Side Note: When she first started talking, "again" sounded more like "'gin" - it was very cute.)

The flip side of the DVR is that it creates this alternate reality in their minds in which kids think that they can rewind ANYTHING and watch it again and again. (In fairness to her, I went through the same thing when I first got TiVO.) We heard a song on the radio that she liked and she, of course, said "again again" and I tried to explain to her that we couldn't listen to it again because it was on the radio. Not understanding, she got upset and I went into the mode of "Oh shit, I hope she likes the next song". Which, of course, she didn't and then I was stuck with "OK, how do I distract her with something else so that she's not focused on hearing that damn song 'again again'."

Same thing happened when we were outside and I pointed out a squirrel climbing a tree. She got all excited and watched the squirrel until it climbed the tree and went out of sight. "Again! Squirrel again!" Uh-oh. I told her: "Squirrel again? Squirrel went bye-bye. Say 'bye bye, squirrel'." She said "bye-bye squirrel" and we moved on.

Phew!

Damn you, TiVO. I love you and I hate you.

xo
-t.

No comments:

Post a Comment