Friday, January 29, 2010

Postpartum Part 2

I couldn't agree more with Josh's blog entry about about postpartum. In a way both my wife and I have had atypical postpartum experiences which have created quite a bit of elusiveness for us. I am much more irritable and impatient with my wife than I used to be, which is exactly the opposite of how the daddy websites tell you to be. I'm uber-protective of the baby (sometimes to a fault) which leads to my being hypercritical. My wife's postpartum has manifest itself in more agro ways which (again) isn't how the websites online describe postpartum, so it was difficult obtaining the postpartum diagnosis. Now that we both know what we're dealing with, it makes it easier to take steps to correct it. What's worked for me is: Chill time to myself, meditation/self-hypnosis and lots of physical affection towards my wife, even if it seems forced. We call it "making deposits in the love bank". I didn't have the same issues bonding with the baby that Josh had, but I'm interested to hear some solutions because I know that (with daddy away at work now), bonding can become an issue in the near future. xo -t.

No comments:

Post a Comment